Mark Bogner MD FACEP
I am a Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and currently the Medical Director of Emergency Medicine and EMS Medical Director at Southwest Health in Platteville, WI. I am also an Adjunct Associate Clinical Professor with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (UW-SMPH).
I had the significant advantage of growing up in a wonderful and supportive family with a hard core midwestern work ethic – but not with money. I started working at age 13 and paid for my entire education with hard work, loans and many merit scholarships.
In 1984 I graduated Valedictorian from high school (back in the day there was only one valedictorian) from my class of 486 students with a 4.0 cumulative GPA.
In the Fall of 1984 I matriculated to the University of Wisconsin (Madison) where I ultimately earned my B.S. in Medical Science in the School of Letters and Science, graduating with Honors & Distinction. I finished in the the top 3% (approximately) of my class of around 8000 students with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.83.
I was accepted (early) to medical school in 1987 and took the one year deferral option (at the advice of my outstanding undergraduate counselor) to take a breath from working so hard and go abroad before entering the hard years of medical school. In 1987 – 1988 I studied in Budapest, Hungary (through a UW sponsored program) where (frankly) I spent most of my time expanding social skills and traveling all over Europe on what was then called an inter rail resident student pass (Europe’s train system rocks) and staying mostly in student hostels. That year was one of the best and most rewarding experiences of my life.
Then began the dark and very hard years of medical school. I did well enough and graduated from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine & Public Health in 1993.
Following medical school, I completed my internship in General Surgery at Loyola University Medical Center and then Emergency Medicine (EM) Residency training at the University of Chicago. I was selected to serve as an Emergency Medicine Chief Resident at the University of Chicago in 1997-98. This was a true honor and a very intense training experience designed to prepare me for a career in academic emergency medicine.
After completing my EM training in 1998, I returned to Madison, WI and my alma mater, joining the Faculty of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine & Public Health (UW-SMPH). In 2004 I was asked to take on the challenge of designing and building a new residency program in EM at UW-SMPH. The now much expanded and nationally respected UW-SMPH Emergency Medicine Residency Program was successfully launched under my leadership as Program Director and I served in this role from 2004 until 2009.
I was also an active UW Health Med Flight Physician from 1998 – 2008, earned the rank of Associate Professor in the Academic Track (CHS) at UW-SMPH by 2007, and have published over 20 scholarly works. I won several awards for teaching and leadership at UW and was Associate Medical Director of the UW Health Emergency Department from 2006-2009.
In late 2009 I left full time academics to pursue private practice and more time with my family. Since 2010 I have been with Southwest Health Center in Platteville, WI. I remain an Adjunct (i.e. volunteer) Associate Professor with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and I still teach UW students on a regular basis.
For over 17 wonderful years now and still counting – I have been very happily married to an amazing, endlessly supportive, brilliant and beautiful woman (Heather) and have two incredible children (Alexandra and Ian) – and THREE (two too many) Black Labrador Retrievers (Charlie, Willow and Raina).
- First and foremost – time with my family – traveling together and just “being” with the people I love
- I have relatively few truly close friends – I am just too busy. However, those friends I do have I keep very close and work very hard to support in every way I can. This is one of my true joys in life. Aside from my wife and family, I am proud to say my best friend is my only brother (Todd).
- My Kubota tractor and backhoe – spending time in the woods digging and working on our ATV trails and finding other excuses to use my tractor on our extensive land around our Cottage and lake in Northern Wisconsin
- My shop up north (a large metal pole building) – where my tractor and tools live – and where hours melt away playing, putzing, building and where I have a great exercise facility setup!
- I love my tools – all premium quality and Made in the USA top to bottom. I am easy to buy gifts for – just get me a nice USA made hand tool I do not yet own and I am very happy. Good steaks work too.
- Golf – love it – used to be pretty good too – now more of a social and casual thing
- Our family Cottage is my (and most of our family’s) “happy place”
- I love reading, writing and teaching in all aspects of life
- Casual deer and bird hunter and fisherman – but I enjoy it immensely
Click The Bogner Ventures LLC Logo anywhere on this site to Donate via PayPal